By: Garrett Gillespie, Corporate Compliance Officer and Deputy GC, BMC HealthNet Plan; HFMA MA-RI Chapter Compliance Committee Member,
What to review to identify risks: senior management surveys, operational management interviews, regulatory publications (e.g., OIG website), audit staff input, external sources.
Audits are won or lost in the preparation. Think about:
- What do you need to know?
- What should the scope be?
- What standards will you audit against?
- With whom will you meet? Who will the point of contact be?
- What IT systems will you need to access? Get your requests in early.
- Have there been prior audits in this area that you can review/learn from?
Thank you to Scott Brady and Nick Borges from Lifespan for their excellent presentation.
Click HERE for a copy of their presentation.